TAP Portugal offers helpful suggestions on travelling with baggage.
Special Declaration of Value
Passengers can benefit from a higher liability limit by making a Special Declaration of Value and paying an additional fee, no later than at the time the baggage is checked.
- The declaration must be filled out in advance. The declaration can be downloaded here.
- The total amount of excess to be declared cannot exceed USD 2500.00 or equivalent. TAP charges a fee of 10% of the amount declared.
- The declaration is only valid for flights operated by TAPPortugal.
- Passengers must keep the declaration and respective proof of payment with them at all times.
- A separate declaration must be made for each passenger.
- All passengers who wish to make a special declaration of value must arrive at the airport at least 3 hours in advance so that the baggage and the necessary documentation can be checked.
- To make the declaration, the passenger(s) must present their booking information and identification document.
- The baggage must be verified by the passenger on arrival. If a baggage irregularity occurs, it should be reported at the Lost & Found desk when the baggage is claimed, before leaving the baggage claim area.
- Baggage should always be properly labelled with your name and address and locked with a key or padlock.
- Fragile items, perishable goods, money, valuables or documents should not be transported in checked baggage.
- When checking your baggage, make sure the baggage claim ticket shows the correct destination. For flights to Europe with connections inLisbon, the destination on the claim ticket should be your final travel destination.
- When collecting your baggage, make sure the number on the tag is the same as the number on the claim ticket.
- Do not overfill your bags.
- Complaints about baggage irregularities should be reported immediately to TAP staff when the bags are claimed or are discovered missing, before leaving the baggage claim area.
- Requests for these types of equipment must always be made through the Call Centre or a TAP Ticket Counter.
For your own safety, TAP advises you not to transport baggage belonging to others unless you know what it contains.