Built in the Romanesque and Gothic styles, the Cathedral of Évora is a neighbour of the Roman Temple and offers an unmissable view over the city from its top. The Fernandina Wall, also called New Enclosure, is another great construction of the medieval Évora. It integrates some elements of the ancient defensive structures of the city, like a fragment of the Roman wall, and is crossed by the post-medieval Silver Waters Aqueduct (built between 1533 and 1537). The Giraldo Square dates from the same era than the wall and has been the stage of the city’s main events — festivities, knights tournaments and Inquisition acts of faith — for centuries.
“We the bones that lay here, for yours await.” This is the sinister inscription laying on top of the equally sinister Chapel of Bones, a celebration of death characteristic of the Baroque period. Dated from the 17th century, this atraction is decorated with several skulls and bones, disposed in an organized pattern, what made the recently renewed São Francisco Royal Church one of the most touristy in Évora. Dated from the 15th and 16th centuries, this was one of the religious buildings that in the 18th century had its main chapel redecorated with Baroque symbols, alongside with São Mamede Church and the Cathedral.
About half an hour from Évora some curious megalithic monuments can be visited. They comprise Almendres Cromlech, a conglomerate of monoliths that is the most important megalithic enclosure known to this day in the Iberian Peninsula, near which stands the imposing Almendres Hill Menhir. Equally surprising for its dimension and preservation is the closeby Dolmen of Zambujeiro.