Unaccompanied Minors Flying
All children under 12 traveling alone are considered unaccompanied minors and their transport in TAP requires certain rules
Minors travelling alone
To book a flight for a child aged under 12 travelling alone, please contact our Contact Center or your nearest TAP Office.
This type of booking cannot be made online as it requires special procedures.
At the request of the child's parents or legal guardians, TAP can provide an escort for minors aged between three (3) months and five (5) years (excluding) when travelling alone, under the following conditions:
- When booking, mention which language the child speaks.
- Babies aged under 3 months will not be accepted.Minors must be accompanied to the airport and during check-in and customs formalities by their parents, legal guardians or someone authorised by them and stay at the airport until the flight departs.
- Minors must also have someone authorised by their parents or legal guardians waiting to meet them at their destination airport.
- Parents or guardians are responsible for obtaining the necessary documentation for the minor's journey. They must fill in and sign an identifying document for the minor.
- The flight attendant will occupy a seat, which will be charged for.
- In addition to the cost of accompanying the child, the adult fare and not a child fare will be charged.
- The cost is the one-way fare and is based on the place of departure and arrival of the flight. For example, on a Funchal - Lisbon - London flight, if the child only needs an escort for the Funchal - Lisbon leg, the fare charged for the flight attendant will be that for Funchal - London, even though she does not travel the Lisbon - London leg.
Fare for an additional escort
The normal adult one-way economy class fare applies to the Helper (only certain fares without restrictions will apply. For further information, please contact TAP.
The Child or Infant will pay the full adult fare, in accordance with the availability of seats on the flight and the published fares.
Airport charges will not be included for the additional escort.
If the minor is a no-show or the additional escort is cancelled less than four days from departure, there will be no reimbursement.
- TAP does not accept children aged from 3 months to 4 years as unaccompanied minors. TAP can provide an escort at the request of their parents or legal guardians.
- Children 3 or 4 years of age may be accompanied by another passenger 12 to 15 years of age provided that unaccompanied minor procedures are followed for both.
- A passenger aged over 12 can accompany a child aged over 5, provided that his or her capacity as an escort is declared for the entire journey, including acceptance, check-in and airport formalities.
- Passengers from 5 to 11 years of age travelling alone are always considered unaccompanied minors.
- Minors aged from 12 to 17 years inclusive can exceptionally be registered as unaccompanied minors at the request of their parents or legal guardians.
- Waiting list bookings are not accepted.
- When making or confirming a unaccompanied minor request, you will be required to give TAP the name and contact details (phone number and address) of the people who will be taking the child to the airport and picking him or her up on arrival.
|Domestic, Europe, Morocco and Algeria||Intercontinental Flights|
|EUR 50||EUR 100|
These charges are as follows:
- For children aged between 5 and 11 years inclusive travelling alone.
- Per unaccompanied minor (except for siblings travelling together, in which case there is only one charge).
- Per one-way (per direction when on TP flights).
- Young people aged 12 to 17 years, if requested by their parents or guardians.
- If the booking is not made directly with TAP, the fee must be paid in person at the airport.
Legislation on minors
Minors born in Portugal
Minors born in Portugal have the same resident status as either of their parents.
In order to apply for a residence permit, either parent must submit the application in the six months following the child's birth.
Minors entering Portugal
In order to enter Portugal, foreigners aged under 18 years must have a written permission to travel. If they do not have it and if someone is waiting for them in Portugal, the minors only will enter after that confirmation.
Minors leaving Portugal
Minors leaving Portugal not accompanied by a parent or legal guardian must show legally certified authorisation from their parents or legal guardians at border control.
NOTE: Unaccompanied minors (UMNRs) are not accepted for travel from Lisbon to Funchal (and vice-versa) on international flights continuing on to or returning from Caracas.
Minors with Brazilian citizenship
- Brazilian minors with dual citizenship who reside outside ofBrazilneed a Minor Child Travel Consent.
- The Minor Child Travel Consent document for a child travelling toBrazilmust be recognised at a Brazilian consulate; recognition of signatures by a notary public or lawyer is not accepted.
- The Minor Child Travel Consent is also required for minor children with dual citizenship who travel fromBrazilto other parts of the world.
- If the minor resides outside ofBrazil, the document must be recognised at a Brazilian consulate; recognition of signatures by a notary public or lawyer from the country of residence is not accepted.