Find out all the information about checked baggage.
The free checked baggage allowance is based on the number of pieces to be transported.
In accordance with international occupational health and safety standards, TAP does not transport baggage or other pieces of baggage weighing more than 32 kg / 70 lbs. Volumes of baggage weighing more that 32 kg / 70 lbs must be dispatched as cargo. Check below the permitted baggage for your flight.
The piece concept is based on the number of pieces of baggage that passengers are allowed to carry.
It applies to all TAP routes.
This is baggage handed over to TAP for which a claim tag is issued.
This baggage is transported in the plane’s cargo hold and, for security reasons, in the same plane in which the passenger travels.
Baggage must be properly locked and identified with the passenger’s name and address to ensure safe transport.
Checked baggage must not contain:
- Fragile and perishable items;
- Essential medication;
- Professional or academic documents;
- Passports or other identification documents;
- Any valuable items (such as money, jewellery, precious metals, glasses, contact lenses, prosthesis and other orthopedic devices of any kind, personal computers or any other related equipment, cellular telephones and other personal electronic devices, negotiable papers, securities or other valuable documents).
Dangerous articles cannot be transported. These include:
- Explosives, including detonators, fuses, grenades and mines;
- Gases, including propane and butane gas
- Flammable liquids, including petrol and methanol
- Flammable solids and reactive substances, including magnesium, lighters, fireworks and torches
- Oxidants and organic peroxides, including bleach and car paint touch-up kits
- Toxic or infectious substances, including rat poison and infected blood
- Radioactive material, including medicinal isotopes or others available on the market
- Corrosive substances, including mercury and car batteries
- Components of car fuel supply systems that have contained fuel
These are electronic devices that simulate real cigarettes and smoking.
For safety reasons, they cannot be carried in the hold as there is a risk of overheating and fire. They can be carried as hand baggage, but cannot be used on board TAP aircraft.
Need extra baggage?
During reservation you can buy extra baggage with a discount of up to €25 on the cost at the airport.
Conditions for using this service:
- Reservation of 1 extra bag per passenger (except children under 2);
- One item of extra baggage may weigh up to 23 kg / 50 lbs and must have a total size under 158 cm / 62 in;
- Reservation subject to limited availability;
- This service can be booked through the Contact Centre, TAP stores or travel agents up until 24 hours before flight departure;
- Reservations on payment by credit or debit card (ATM);
- Service valid only on flights operated by TAP.
Authorised extra baggageVictoria Gold and Silver Clients have different baggage allowances when flying with TAP:
|Victoria Member||Piece Concept||Weight Concept|
|Gold (or Star Alliance Gold Member)||1 additional piece with maximum weight according to booking class *||23 or 32 kg / 50 or 70 lbs|
|Silver||1 piece up to 23 kg / 50 lbs **||23 kg / 50 lbs|
* Victoria Gold (or Star Alliance Gold) travelling with BRAND DISCOUNT will be permitted 1 extra piece up to 23 kg/50lbs.
** Victoria Silver are entitled to 1 extra piece up to 23 kg / 50lbs only permitted on journeys to/from Africa and journeys to/from destinations cross Atlantic. Allowance not permitted within PT (mainland and islands) and within Europe (North Africa included).
Notes: Infants are entitled to 1 piece up to 10kg. Within Europe (North Africa included), no allowance will be given if infants are travelling with BRAND DISCOUNT (allowed to travel with one checked or carry on fully collapsible stroller pushchair or infants carrying basket or infants car seat which may be carried in cabin subject to availability of space).