TAP Portugal guarantees assistance to visually impaired passengers and the transportation of guide dogs.
Preparing to travel
How to book?
If you are travelling alone and require assistance, then you must inform us of the extent of your impairment and the assistance you require via our Booking Office or your travel agent no less than 48 hours before your flight is scheduled to depart.
Use our online and mobile check-in services, which in the majority of cases open 72 hours prior to departure.
How is the service provided?
At the airport
Our services will provide all the support you need to ensure your trip goes ahead without problem and as requested when you made your booking. Make your way to the check-in desk as soon as you arrive at the airport.
In Lisbon you will find us in Terminal 1 Departures, at the dedicated special assistance desks. If you are a TAP/Star Alliance Gold member or are travelling on Business Class, then you can use our Premium area check-in.
We recommend that you arrive at the airport in plenty of time:
|Flights||Recommended arrival||Latest possible arrival|
|Intercontinental||3 hours prior to departure||90 minutes prior to departure|
|Europe||2 hours prior to departure||90 minutes prior to departure|
Our staff will accompany you right up to the aircraft door.
On arrival at the aircraft, our in-flight crew will provide you with assistance and information about:
- The position of your seat in the aircraft (proximity to emergency doors and exits, toilets, etc.);
- Where to find the call buttons and the entertainment system;
- The location of the oxygen mask and how to use it;
- The description and make up of your seat tray at meal time;
- Help to get to the toilet. However, they cannot provide any assistance inside the toilet.
Safety instructions are available in Braille. On our newer aircraft you will be able to find out more useful information, such as the number of seat and instructions for the toilet.
Our staff will meet you at the aircraft on arrival at your transfer airport or final destination and will accompany you through the entire process: border control, luggage reclaim, customs.
Flights to and from the United States
TAP complies with US regulations preventing discrimination on the basis of disability on all of its flights to and from the United States.
A copy of these regulations is available for consultation at the desks in Lisbon, Porto, Newark and Miami airports. You may also request a copy of these regulations directly from the US Department of Transportation prior to flying:
- By telephone from within the United States via a free helpline for disabled passengers: 1-800-778-4838 (speaking) or 1-800-455-9880 Talk To You (TTY);
- By telephone to the Aviation Consumer Protection Division: 202-366-2220 (speaking) or 202-366-0511 (TTY);
- On the Aviation Consumer Protection Division (PDF, 0.1MB, EN) website (DOT, 14 CFR Part 382 ACAA, "Non-discrimination on the Basis of Disability in Air Travel; Final Rule");
- In writing from the Aviation Consumer Protection Division:
Aviation Consumer Protection Division C-75,
U.S. Department of Transportation
1200 New Jersey Ave., SE., West Building, Room W96-432
Washington, DC 20590, USA
Consult our conditions to travel with a guide dog.