TAP placed cookies on your computer to help improve this site. You can change your cookies definition at any time. By using this website you consent to their use.
Firearms & Ammunition
If you wish to travel with guns, please consult the conditions of carriage below.
A fixed fee of €25 is charged for transporting firearms and ammunition each way of the journey.
Examples: Lisbon - Stockholm - €25 / Stockholm - Lisbon - €25
Frankfurt - Lisbon – New York - €25
New York - Lisbon - Frankfurt - €25
This charge applies to both methods of calculating baggage: the weight concept and the piece concept.
Passengers must check in one (1) hour before the normal time.
Transportation of firearms and ammunition is under the following conditions:
- No firearms or ammunition are allowed in the cabin.
- They must be handed over unloaded, dismantled and properly packed at check-in.
- The firearm's documentation must be in order. Small firearms can be transported in checked baggage provided that they are declared at check-in.
- Firearms and ammunition containing explosive projectiles cannot be transported as checked baggage.
- Ammunition must not weigh more than 5 kg (11 lbs) per passenger and per bag.
- Ammunition must be small calibre and not contain explosive projectiles. Ammunition must be packed in a container with a strong outer casing: wood, metal or fibre protected against rough handling and prevented from moving around inside.
Transport of firearms in the United Kingdom
- Transport of firearms to and from the United Kingdom is allowed, with some restrictions, upon presentation of a license to carry the firearm. You must also have a special permit/license issued by the local police authority (in the United Kingdom). Firearms must be transported with the passenger as personal baggage, subject to check-in.
- All handguns (pistols/revolvers) are restricted under UK law and may not be carried on TAP aircraft.
Transport of firearms in Switzerland
Firearms nor ammunition considered "weapons of war" are not allowed to fly to, from or over Switzerland.