The transport of lithium batteries is included in the transport of dangerous goods category. Read carefully our recommendations and rules.
The transport of one lithium battery on your flight depends on:
- The configuration and watt-hour capacity (Wh), in the case of rechargeable batteries
- Or the lithium content (LC), in the case of non-rechargeable batteries.
The batteries must be transported as follows:
- The terminals of batteries must be protected against short circuits;
- They are transported in the respective original packaging, or isolated with tape on the terminals, or separately placed in an individual plastic bag:
- Replacement batteries cannot be packed in hold baggage;
- When transported inside equipment (laptops, cameras, mobile phones, etc.) they must be disabled and cannot be accidentally turned on while in hold baggage.
Discover the conditions for other batteries
- These may spill and are therefore considered dangerous cargo, although they may be transported;
- The airline must have been notified in advance, to ensure that the handling requirements are in accordance with the regulations;
- They may be transported as cargo.
- The batteries are considered to be sealed and are not considered dangerous goods;
- They must be thoroughly tested before a manufacturer can label the battery as dry and/or sealed;
- They are not accepted as hold baggage.
Electric wheelchairs contain liquid batteries that can leak, and which are not normally allowed as cabin or hold baggage.
However, since the electric wheelchair belongs to a passenger, it may be transported in the cabin or in the hold. However, the battery must be removed from the wheelchair and transported in a special container.
If a passenger has a wheelchair with a battery containing liquid that could spill, they must arrive early at the airport and inform the check-in desk.
For safety reasons, small vehicles powered by lithium batteries are not allowed to be transported as hand luggage nor as checked luggage on TAP flights.
Due to the risk of fire, these kind of vehicles can only be transported as cargo and can only be accepted as cargo and duly packed in a sturdy packaging and undamaged. For this you must contact in advance to TAP Cargo or cargo agent certificate.
Examples: airwheel, solowheel, hoverboard, mini-segway e balance wheel