As of October 15, bookings for unaccompanied minors will be accepted in transfers in Porto and Lisbon, on TAP flights with no connections with other companies, provided that:
- There is no overnight stay on the stopover transfer (LIS/OPO).
- It is not a route from Morocco to Canada.
The service is not available for other flights with TAP or interline connections. If you have a confirmed reservation for an unaccompanied minor after this date, you should contact our Contact Center.
The approval conditions vary depending on the child's age.
- TAP does not allow unaccompanied minors under the age of 5.
- Minors who are not yet 2 years of age must always travel accompanied by an adult. Their adult companion must be at least 18 years old and be able to take care of the minor throughout the journey, including check-in and border and customs formalities;
- Minors aged between 2 and 4 years (inclusive) may be accompanied by another passenger aged between 12 and 15 years provided the procedures of "Unaccompanied Minor" apply to both;
- A passenger aged at least 16 years can accompany a child aged between 5 and 11 years, provided that he/she is declared the companion for the entire journey, including his/her acceptance, check-in and for airport formalities;
- Passengers aged from 5 to 11 years travelling alone are always considered to be Unaccompanied Minors;
- When aged from 12 to 17 years inclusive they may exceptionally be registered as Unaccompanied Minors at the request of their parents or legal guardians;
- A child travelling in a different cabin class to that in which the adult travels is also considered to be an Unaccompanied Minor;
- Waiting list bookings are not accepted;
- When the Unaccompanied Minor booking is requested and confirmed, it is mandatory to provide TAP with the name and contact details (phone number and address) of the people who will be taking the child to the airport and picking him or her up on arrival.
- The "Unaccompanied Minors" (UMNR) service is not available when there is a night stop on the flights connecting the child's itinerary.
Bookings and fares
When the Unaccompanied Minor booking is requested and confirmed, it is mandatory to provide TAP with the name and contact details (phone number and address) of the people who will be taking the child to the airport and picking him or her up on arrival.
Waiting list bookings are not accepted
The following fees will be added to the booking of a ticket for an unaccompanied minor:
|Direct flight||With connecting flight|
|Domestic flights||65 EUR / 77 USD / 92 CAD||65 EUR / 77 USD / 92 CAD|
|Europe, Morocco, Tunisia and flights between Accra and São Tomé||90 EUR / 112 USD / 142 CAD||100 EUR / 124 USD / 157 CAD|
|Intercontinental flights1||130 EUR / 165 USD / 195 CAD||150 EUR / 185 USD / 235 CAD|
|To / from Dominican Republic||155 EUR / 191 USD / 242 CAD||185 EUR / 228 USD / 289 CAD|
These charges are as follows:
- For children aged between 5 and 11 years travelling alone;
- Per Unaccompanied Minor;
- Per one way*;
- For young people aged between 12 and 17 years, if the parents/guardians wish them to be considered Unaccompanied Minors.
* one way - Solely outbound or inbound flight.
Legislation on minors
Foreign minors born in Portugal
These minors have the same resident status as that granted to either of their parents.
Minors entering Portugal
Foreign unaccompanied minors only have permission to enter the country if they present this document duly validated or if a legal representative is waiting for them in Portugal.
Minors leaving Portugal
Minors with Brazilian nationality
See the document of the National Justice Council or respective website to find out everything you need to do for your minor child to travel in Brazil or abroad.
Minor Authorisation Document:
- Requested from Brazilian minors with dual nationality, residing outside Brazil;
- It has to be certified in a Brazilian Consulate. The certification of the signatures by a notary or lawyer of the country of residence is not accepted;
- The same applies to minors with dual nationality travelling from Brazil abroad, i.e. they must also present the authorisation certified by a Brazilian Consulate, according to the same rules.
Minors with Italian nationality
Children under the age of 14 and travelling with Italian passports cannot travel to or from Italy unaccompanied.
If they are accompanied by someone other than their parents or legal guardian, they must have their own passport and a properly completed “Dichiarazione di Accompagno” (PDF, IT, 0.4MB) form. This document must be signed in the presence of a police officer by both parents (or guardian).
This document is available at any local police station (Questura), but it is not available at the airport police station. If you reside in another country, you must obtain this form from the Italian embassy or consulate.
Minors with Spanish nationality
Unaccompanied minors wishing to travel outside Spanish territory, in addition to having to present their DNI and Passport (the latter for trips outside the Schengen area), must be accompanied by the duly completed Travel Authorization for Unaccompanied Minors, signed by both parents (or legal guardian). This authorization must be recognized in the following facilities: National Police, Guardia Civil, Autonomous Communities Police, Notaries and Alcaldías.
For more information, visit the Ministerio del Interior page here.