- ESAN: Emotional support animals (dogs);
- SVAN: Service animals (guide dogs for the blind, hearing dogs for the deaf, assistance dogs for people with reduced mobility, and search and rescue dogs).
Only dogs registered as service animals (SVAN) can be transported to the UK, and only in the cabin. Animals that are not service animals can only be transported out of the UK.
If you need information on importing and exporting animals, you should contact the embassy or consulate of the country in question.
How to reserve?
Should you need to travel with an assistance animal (guide or emotional), you must inform us, using this form, or your travel agent, no later than 48 hours before departure.
Travel with an emotional assistance dog will be authorised once the TAP doctor has approved it.
Conditions of Transport
Guide dogs, hearing dogs and service dogs:
- The dogs be properly identified as service animals with documentation proving they have been officially trained and certified;
- They can travel at the owner’s feet, without a transport box;
- They cannot occupy a seat;
- They must be on a leash;
- They cannot move around the cabin.
Emotional support dogs:
- May travel in the cabin inside a soft animal carry case weighing no more than 17lb (with the animal inside) and which is no larger than 15 x 12 x 6in;
- If the permitted size and / or weight is exceeded, the dog has to travel in the hold, also for free;
Only one animal carry case is permitted per passenger;
On flights to and from the USA (only) emotional support dogs that weigh more than 8kg (17.5lb) are allowed on board;
The maximum recommended weight and size is 40kg (88lb) and 62cm (24in) high (from floor to withers);
Any weight or size over and above will need to be analyzed and duly authorized to ensure the flight can go ahead in safety and comfort;
These dogs may travel in the cabin without a pet carrier cage or bag, though use of a lead is recommended;
- Emotional assistance animals (ESAN) are not permitted in the executive class cabin of long-haul flights (except on flights to and from the USA);
- The health requirements of the destination country must be complied with;
- Authorization to travel with an emotional support dog will depend on the TAP doctor’s approval;
- The carriage of short-nosed dogs and cats or cross-breeds of short-nosed dogs and cats is not allowed in the hold because of the climatic conditions they may be exposed to:
- American Bully
- American Pit Bull Terrier / Pit Bull
- American Staffordshire Terrier / “Amstaff”
- Boston Terrier
- Brussels Griffon
- Bulldog (all types)
- Cavalier King Charles
- Chow Chow
- English Toy Spaniel / Prince Charles Spaniel
- Japanese Chin / Japanese Spaniel
- Lhasa Apso
- Mastiff (all types)
- Shar Pei / Chinese Shar Pei
- Pug (all types)
- Staffordshire Bull Terrier / “Staffies"
- Tibetan Spaniel
This document must be sent to TAP Portugal’s medical department for review and approval by email or fax:
Fax No. (+351) 218 416 540
NOTE: For passengers in transit/traveling to the United Kingdom, TAP is only permitted to transport dogs certified as guide dogs in the cabin. Transport of animals in the hold is not permitted on this route.
TAP complies with the following rules and regulations:
EU Regulation No. 1107/2006 of July 5, 2006 concerning the rights of disabled persons and persons with reduced mobility when traveling by air.
Passengers traveling to/from the USA are carried in accordance with the US Department of Transportation Code of Federal Regulations, Part 382, “Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Disability in Air Travel”, in effect since May 13, 2009.