Transportation of firearms and ammunition
The transportation of firearms on TAP flights is only allowed for firearms for own use, intended for sporting and hunting. This transfer service is subject to presentation of all necessary licenses and permits, and it must be booked and confirmed prior to arrival at the airport.
If you are travelling with firearms and ammunition see the transport and security conditions you must comply with.
- No firearms or ammunition are allowed in the cabin;
- The firearms must be handed over unloaded, dismantled and properly packed at check-in;
- Make sure you have the correct documentation for the weapon, including the registration and the licence to use and carry firearms;
- Weapons and ammunition containing explosive projectiles cannot travel as hold baggage;
- The transport of amounts of ammunition exceeding 5kgs / 11lbs per passenger is not allowed;
- Permitted ammunition must be small calibre and not contain explosive projectiles;
- It is important that they are packed in a container with a sufficiently strong outer covering: wood, metal or fibre, protected against potential shocks and unable to move about inside.
The transportation of firearms for commercial purposes (export/import) as checked baggage is not possible and must be carried out as cargo transport. For more information, see the TAP Valuable service page on the TAP Air Cargo website.
See here the full list of Forbidden Items and Articles in the cabin and in the hold.
Specific transportation conditions
• For gun permit and legal verification, the passenger must contact PSP (police force), in the inspection area, located in the arrival zone.
• Contact – Airport 218 413 700, extension 21492
• For gun permit and legal verification, the passenger must contact PSP (police force), in the inspection area, located on the 3rd floor of the departure zone (next to the X-ray area entry)
• Available 24h/7 and Contact – Airport 229 432 400, extension 43228/29
Remaining national airports
• Contact PSP (police force) of the airport.
For official travel involving national security forces, special regulations apply. In such cases, it is necessary to contact TAP via telephone.
Check-in and transport costs
Passengers travelling with firearms and ammunition on the plane must check-in 2 hours before the usual time.
The cost of transporting this equipment depends on the route and is applied in both baggage calculation methods: Concept of Weight1 and Concept of Pieces2. See the price list below:
|Domestic flights, flights to Europe, Morocco, Tunisia, Israel and flights between Accra and São Tomé||Intercontinental Flights|
|75 EUR / 95 USD / 114 CAD||110 EUR / 138 USD / 165 CAD|
|15.000 miles||22.000 miles|
1Used when the baggage allowance is determined by the total amount of weight the passenger transports.
2Number of items a passenger carries. This concept applies throughout the TAP network.
The payment using miles is only available online, when making your booking on flytap.com or though Manage Booking.