The ideal solution for you
- If you have trouble getting to the boarding gate - we provide a wheelchair to take you there.
- If you have trouble getting to the boarding gate and going up or down stairs - we have a wheelchair waiting to take you to the door of the plane.
- If very low mobility prevents you from moving about in the cabin - we have reserved a wheelchair for you that will take you to your seat.
We remind you that you must carry your cabin bag and it must respect the maximum permissible dimensions and weights so that this transport process is faster.
How to book?
You can do it through our Contact Center or your travel agency.
Take into account the limitations of on-board assistance, so if you have high motor difficulties, you shouldn't travel alone.
If you travel with your own chair:
Before departure, you must notify the need to transport a wheelchair. Each passenger can carry up to two wheelchairs, free of charge, in the cargo hold.
When booking, you should indicate whether the chair is manual or electric, as well as the type of battery and its specifications. In order to avoid possible short circuits, batteries must always be properly protected, packaged, disconnected and terminals covered with insulating material.
- Note: Electric chairs cannot be transported all the way to the plane. If your flight is operated by TAP, and if you need it, we will provide you with a manual replacement chair upon check-in, to ensure that you receive the necessary assistance. We inform you that on flights operated by other airlines, the request for electric wheelchair transport may be denied/unauthorized. Before traveling, ensure that the airline you chose allows you to transport your electric wheelchair.
How is the assistance provided?
At the airport
In Lisbon you will find us in Terminal 1 Departures, at the dedicated special assistance desks.
If you travel with departure, or destination, to Lisbon, Porto, Faro, João Paulo II, Santa Maria, Horta, Flores, Madeira or Porto Santo airports, know that this service is provided by ANA, Airports of Portugal. Click here for more information.
|Flights||Recommended airport arrival time||Latest possible airport arrival time|
|Intercontinental||3 hours prior to departure
||2 hours prior to departure
|Europe||2 hours prior to departure
||90 minutes prior to departure
If necessary, TAP can provide wheelchairs on board long-haul flights that are specially designed to move about in the narrow aisles, and which will enable you to move around the cabin.
- Flights to and from the USA
TAP complies with US regulations preventing discrimination on the basis of disability on all its flights to and from the United States.
A copy of this document is available for consultation at the desks in Lisbon, Porto, Newark and Miami airports.
You may also request a copy of these regulations directly from the US Department of Transportation prior to flying:
By telephone from within the United States via a free helpline for disabled passengers: 1-800- 778-4838 (speaking) or 1-800- 455-9880 (TTY);
By telephone to the Aviation Consumer Protection Division: 202-366- 2220 (speaking) or 202-366-0511 (TTY);
On the website of the Aviation Consumer and Protection Division (PDF, 0.1MB, EN); (DOT, 14 Part 382 ACAA, "Non-discrimination on the Basis of Disability in Air Travel; Final Rule");
In writing to the Aviation Consumer Protection Division: Aviation Consumer Protection Division C-75, U.S. Department of Transportation; 1200 New Jersey Ave., SE., West Building, Room W96-432; Washington, DC 20590, EUA.