What you can take in the cabin
Maximum sizes and weights for hand baggage
Maximum size of height x length x width of hand luggage, regardless of the destination.
Maximum weight of hand baggage in Economy and Executive classes to all destinations.
Charges for excess hand baggage
- From 70 EUR – On domestic and European flights or flights to Morocco.
- From 85 EUR / 106 USD / 134 CAD – On intercontinental flights.
Only credit or debit card payments will be available at the boarding gate.
Travel tip: If you have excess cabin baggage, you can save time and money by booking an extra hold bag online before check-in opens, starting at €30 / $39 / CAD 49. If you booked your flight with a travel agent, you can also purchase it directly from them.
What is a personal item?
- Bags: Handbag, computer case or shoulder bag measuring no more than: 40x30x15cm / 16x12x5in.
- Duty Free Shop Bag: A bag with up to 2 bottles of alcoholic beverages, or other items (provided they do not exceed the maximum indicated weight).
- Walking aids: Mobility equipment such as wheelchairs, walking sticks, etc.
- Medical devices: upon prescription/prior approval.
Where to store hand baggage
Whenever possible, store your hand baggage should be placed under the seat in front of you.
If your hand baggage is too large or if you are seated in the emergency row or the first row in the cabin, hand baggage should be stored in the overhead lockers.
Security Control precautions
- Liquids1: Put all liquids in individual containers of up to 100ml in a transparent bag of up to 1l.
- Electronic devices: Remove computers, cameras, tablets, mobile phones and so on from your bags.
- Metal objects: Remove all metal items, such as earrings, pins, keys, watches, coins, etc. from your body and pockets.
- Clothes and footwear: Take off your jacket, belt and shoes to avoid having to go through the X-ray more than once.
- Children and babies: When traveling with children up to 2 years old, you can carry the necessary amount of food for the duration of the trip, but no water, which you can request on board. When going through airport security, you may be asked to taste that food.
Do you need to carry special baggage in the cabin?
Flights to Brazil
If you are travelling to Brazil and intend to take food and/or animal and vegetable products with you, read the Passenger Guide (PDF, 0.1, PT) to see the rules.
Traveling from Berlin
For flights departing from Berlin, and as per measures imposed by airport security, passengers should only transport one piece of hand luggage and any remaining luggage should be checked in. Prior to arriving at security control, passengers should store all the contents of their pockets within their jacket or the hand luggage, and larger electronic items (laptops, tablets and medical devices) as well as the bag for carrying liquids should be taken out of hand luggage for security verification."