Portugal: Where waves are always guaranteed
Lovers of these sports will find waves for all tastes in Portugal; the wind blows in the right direction and there is sunshine all year round.
Known for its giant waves and for the title of the world's biggest wave in 2011, surfed by American Garrett McNamara, Norte da Nazaré Beach is a popular spot among the most fearless surfers. Perfect waves can also be found in Carcavelos, Ericeira or Peniche. The variety is huge outside the Lisbon region, with Figueira da Foz, Espinho, Matosinhos and Viana do Castelo as the highlights in the north of the country, Alentejo coast and Sagres in the south, as well as the Azores and Madeira islands in the middle of the Atlantic.
If you are a bodyboarder, Praia Grande in Sintra is a must. Praia Grande hosts a bodyboarding world championship date every year and is included in every hotspot list. But the country's north coast and the western coast of the Algarve are becoming increasingly popular among enthusiasts.
Guincho Beach, which has already hosted the best windsurfers in the world, is a must-go place for windsurfing fans. Guincho has also been attracting a lot of kitesurfers, who also go to the beaches in Carcavelos, Costa da Caparica or, further north, Aveiro and Viana do Castelo.
Why opt for a Stopover
Discover TAP's partnering surf schools
Lisbon Surf ToursExperience a top surfing destination
About 20 minutes away from Lisbon, you will find the best surf spots. Lisbon Surf Tours will pick you up from the hotel or the airport and take you to the beach.
All services include transportation, an instructor/guide qualified by the Portuguese Sports Institute/Portuguese Surfing Federation, equipment (suit, surfboard, etc.), personal accident insurance, and other additional options.
Onda PuraSurf at Matosinhos Beach
On a privileged location on Matosinhos beach, the Onda Pura surf school organizes daily lessons between 11:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m (subject to weather conditions). This school is accredited by the FPS (Portuguese Surfing Federation), the Portuguese Tourism Agency, the Authorities of Porto de Leixões, and the IPDJ. The instructors are accredited by the FPS through the level 1 and level 2 coaching course.
- Prices: Classes are taught in groups or individually: single group class (€25); pack of 4 lessons (€65); pack of 8 lessons (€115); pack of 12 lessons (€145); one-on-one tutoring (€40); pack of 4 private lessons (€145); pack of 8 private lessons (€285).
- How to book: Reserve 24 hours in advance via SMS to +351 96 734 76 97, or by email to email@example.com. The check-in is done 15 minutes before the class time, which contributes to the proper functioning of the class.
Classes include all materials suitable for the practice of the sport and the different levels of learning, namely 4/3 mm thickness isothermal suits and softboards for greater comfort, safety, and success; clothing, lockers, hot-water showers (€1/3´ coin system); personal accident and liability insurance.
Academia Profissional de SurfClasses for all levels and ages
Experience surfing for about three hours in the Greater Lisbon area. In addition to surfing, Academia Profissional de Surf has other services of interest, including surfing with a pro, video analysis, counseling and/or physical training, transport services, and yoga classes.
- Prices: The surfing lessons last for three hours and have the following prices: 1 passenger = €100; 2 passengers = €140 (€70 per person); 3 passengers = €165 (€44 per person); 4 passengers = €200 (€50 per person); 5 to 10 passengers = €50 per person.
- How to book: All bookings are made via the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The classes include all the materials needed for the practice of this sport, namely the equipment - the board and the suit.
Fish Surf SchoolLearn to surf with a customized lesson
If you are doing a Stopover in Porto, take some time to surf with the FISH Surf School - Matosinhos & Porto FISH Surf School Camp. The school provides all the equipment you need (surfboard or bodyboard, isothermal wetsuit, leash, fins).
- Pricing: Individual lessons (€25) last 1h30m and are available every weekday; each lesson is taught according to the student's individual goals. Available languages: Portuguese, English, French and Spanish.
- How to book: Bookings available until 8 pm on the previous day by email (email@example.com) or preferably by phone (+351 916082218).
In addition to private surfing lessons, Fish Surf School also offers private/group bodyboard and SUP (stand up paddle) lessons. To combine surfing lessons with other activities (bike tour + surfing, wine and canned fish tastings, yoga, skateboarding, fitness), please ask for a quote.