Alerts and informations
Passengers arriving from: South Africa, India or Nepal must quarantine for 14 days at their residence or other location determined by the Portuguese authorities (except if the stay in Portugal does not exceed 48h), and must present the pre-register online form available here. (Passengers travelling from the mentioned countries who do not present the form will not be allowed to travel.)
Additionally, all passengers traveling to Continental Portugal, either as a final destination, in transit or transfer, must complete this online form after checking-in for the flight.
The proof of the filled out form will need to be presented at control points.
As per the directive of the Portuguese Government, entry into Portuguese territory is only authorized for:
- Passengers on flights from countries belonging to the European Union, countries associated with the Schengen Area (Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland and Switzerland), the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada and Brazil.
- Passengers on flights from countries whose epidemiological situation is in accordance with Council Recommendation (EU) 2020/1551, of 22 October 2020.
- Passengers on flights from countries that are not members of the European Union or that are not countries associated with the Schengen Area (other than United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada and Brazil), exclusively for essential reasons
- Passengers on repatriation or humanitarian flights organized in accordance with the law.
Essential reasons are: professional, study, family reunion, health or humanitarian reasons.
Passengers entering or transiting thru Portugal must present proof of testing for the screening of SARS-CoV-2 with a negative result, or they will be denied boarding. (including Portuguese citizens, residing in Portugal and their families):
- NAAT - Nucleic Acid Amplification Tests (RT-PCR, NEAR, TMA, LAMP, HDA, CRISPR, SDA, etc), performed within 72 hours prior to the time of departure on the 1st embarkation point,
- An antigen test (TRAg) performed within 48 hours prior to the time of departure on the 1st embarkation point.
Exceptions: Children who have not completed 12 yrs.
Additionally, to presenting a negative test, passengers that have been in South Africa, India or Nepal for the last 14 days, must quarantine for 14 days at their residence or facility determined by the authorities (unless their stay in Portugal does not exceed 48h), and present the pre-register online form available here.
The mandatory tests can only be accepted in Portuguese, French, Spanish, English and Italian. An element that must be stated is the time and date at which the test was carried out.
Acceptable formats are paper and electronic (but not mobile text messages – SMS).
NHS tests and Trace Test performed in the United Kingdom are not valid for travel.
Only antigen tests acceptable by the European Union Health Committee are accepted for travel as well as the minimum data that must be present on the test result document as set by the same entity, see here.
It is the Passengers responsibility to confirm if their test meets the requirements.
Passengers travelling from the Madeira and Azores Islands are exempted from presenting the negative covid test to enter mainland Portugal (unless transferring to other country, in which case the destination rules apply).
UE Digital Certificate
From July 1st, 2021, travelers presenting an UE COVID digital certificate may enter Mainland Portugal for any reason.
The following 3 certificates are acceptable:
- Vaccination certificate, declaring a complete and valid vaccination, with a COVID-19 vaccine authorized by Regulamento (CE) n.º 726/2004. Vaccination is considered valid after 14 days from:
- The single dose of a single dose vaccine, OR;
- The second dose of a two-dose vaccine (even each dose is of a different vaccine), OR;
- A single dose of a two-dose vaccine, if the certificate indicates that the single dose concludes the vaccination plan, for people that have already been infected with COVID-1
- The single dose of a single dose vaccine, OR;
- Recovery certificate, declaring that the person has recovered from COVID-19 infection, in result of a positive NAAT test with at least 11 days and no more than 180 days
- Negative Test certificate (NAAT test performed within 72 hours prior to the time of departure on the 1st embarkation point OR antigen test performed within 48 hours prior to the time of departure on the 1st embarkation point)
- The UE Digital Covid Certificate is only valid when issued by countries that are part of the European Union, with the exception of Certificates issued in Switzerland. For example Certificates issued in the United Kingdom shall not be accepted and, in these cases, passengers must comply with the test requirements. Whereas issued in Switzerland or any other country part of the UE will be accepted.
- The certificates can be presented digitally or in paper.
- The certificates replace the need to present any other tests results.
- Presenting an UE COVID digital certificate (only recovery or vaccination) exempts passengers from quarantine upon arrival (when applicable).
- Minors travelling with a responsible adult that holds a recovery or vaccination UE digital certificate are exempted from quarantine upon arrival (when applicable)
For some destinations it is mandatory that passengers complete an online form, prior to the flight, proof of which will need to be presented at control points upon arrival, verify below if this is needed in your case. For destinations that do not have an online form, passengers will be requested to fill out a form during the flight.
It is the passenger’s responsibility to comply with all government policies and entry requirements, for example the need to fill out forms and/or Covid-19 testing. Failure to do so may result in denied boarding for the flight or entry to the destination.
Please be aware that there are specific procedures for some destinations that can be verified here. Always confirm information with official government agencies to ensure you are able to reach your destination.
Symptomatic passengers identified at the airport by public health authorities may be refused to continue their journey.
Use of a face mask is mandatory on board all TAP flights. Therefore, all our passengers, aged over 6, must be equipped with one and guarantee that it is used during the entire duration of the journey.
The use of a face mask will only be exempted for passengers who are proven to have health problems that cannot use it. In these cases, prior to the flight and in order to travel, the passenger must have a medical authorization (MEDIF). Otherwise, boarding will be denied.
We also advise our passengers to inform themselves on specific regulations that may exist at their points of origin and destination, for example that fact that it is already compulsory at many airports to wear a face mask.
- Travelling to Abidjan, Accra, Bissau*, Conakry*, Dakar*, Praia, Sao Vicente and Sao Tome:
- Summer – from 10 June 2021 to 12 September 2021*
- Christmas – from 11 December 2021* to 9 January 2022
- Easter - from 1 April 2022 to 17 April 2022
- Departing from Abidjan, Accra and Conakry*:
- Summer – from 10 June 2021 to 12 September 2021
- New Year’s – from 26 December 2021 to 9 January 2022
- Easter – from 18 April 2022 to 25 April 2022
- Summer – from 10 June 2021 to 12 September 2021
Final Destination Bissau will be anticipated to the Christmas period with suspension from November 13th 2021.
Final destination Conakry, the summer period should only be considered from 10 July 2021 to 8 August 2021, and Christmas period from 16 December 2021 to 29 December 2021.
Final destination Dakar, the summer period should only be considered from 24 June 2021 to 31 August 2021.
Departure point Conakry, the summer period should only be considered from 30 July 2021 to 6 September 2021, and New Year period from 1 January 2022 to 10 January 2022.
The trips whose destination is Abidjan, Accra, Bissau, Conakry, Dakar, Praia, São Tomé and São Vicente and whose origin is Abidjan, Accra and Conakry will not allow excess baggage (weight and / or dimensions) on the allowance associated with the fare, the purchase of extra baggage, nor the transportation of animals, sports equipment or musical instruments dispatched to the hold. The number of pieces accepted will be in accordance to what is indicated on the ticket and, for each piece, the sum of the three dimensions (height + length + width) cannot exceed 158cm, with a maximum weight of 23kg, in Economy and 32kg, in Executive class.
This restriction is applied to all tickets, regardless of the product that is acquired or the Passenger’s Frequent Flyer status, with the exception of tap|discount tickets, where it is possible to add the transport of one piece of baggage.
We present our sincere apologies for any inconvenience that this situation may cause.
The documents will keep its validity after this date only if the owner makes proof that already requested the renewal to the competent authorities.
Applies to the following Portuguese documents: citizen cards, certifications and certificates issued by the competent civil identification services, driver licenses, documents and visas related to the permanence on national territory, as well as licenses and authorizations.
The total net quantity of all such articles carried by each passenger must not exceed 2 kg or 2 L and the net quantity of each single article must not exceed 0.5 kg or 0.5 L.
Alcohol-based hand sanitizer is acceptable as carry-on or checked baggage. However, it should be noted that where passengers wish to have the hand sanitizer in their carry-on baggage that the limit of 100 mL or equivalent per item for liquids and gels in accordance with the aviation security provisions applies (if no local exemption has been defined by the Competent Authorities).
Please bear in mind that such articles shall not be used on any aircraft equipment or surfaces, as they have not been approved by the Aircraft Manufacturer.