Book a ticket for your pet
- to the space available on the aircraft.
- to the class you are flying in and the type of aircraft.
- to pets being allowed into the destination country.
- to the kind of animal and the total weight of the animal and the container.
- age of the animal — must be at least 12 weeks old (10 weeks to the Azores, Madeira and Spain, or when carried in the cabin).
For this reason, you must request this service when booking your trip or before your flight, preferably at least 48 hours before departure.
Please note that the information on this page applies to flights operated by TAP Air Portugal. If your flight has a connection with another airline, please contact us in order to check the possibility of transporting your pet with that company.
To find out if it is possible to book a ticket for your pet on your flight, where it will be carried and the price, you must provide the following information when requesting this service:
Each passenger can bring one carrier with a maximum of two animals of the same species, always subject to availability.
Only malleable containers are accepted in the cabin. If you have a rigid container, the animal has to travel in the hold.
If the total weight is no more than 8kg, it can be carried in the cabin. Animals + containers over that weight are carried in the hold.
You must comply with all health requirements and submit all mandatory documentation, which may vary depending on the flight's origin and destination, in addition to ensuring all mandatory travel conditions, which depend on where the pet is traveling. To avoid last-minute surprises, check the documentation and conditions applying to your pet and type of flight:
- Mandatory requirements and documents for flights between EU member states.
- Mandatory requirements and documents for flights outside EU member states.
- Mandatory requirements for carrying animals in the cabin.
- Mandatory requirements for carrying animals up to 45 kg in the hold.
- Mandatory requirements for carrying animals of potentially dangerous breeds in the hold.
The following health requirements and documents are mandatory for all non-commercial movements of pets on flights between EU member states1, or some non-EU countries2 that are members of the European Union’s Pet Passport.
- Microchip ID: The animal must have a microchip to identify it. Animals identified by tattoo are only allowed if the tattoo was applied before 03/07/2011 and upon presentation of written proof.
- EU pet passport: This has to be issued by a vet who is authorised by the competent authority of the country of origin and attests to the animal's identification and anti-rabies vaccination.
- Valid anti-rabies vaccination: This must be given on or after the date the microchip was implanted.
2Andorra, Switzerland, Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, Greenland, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino and the Vatican City State.
Before flying outside EU1 member states with your pet, we suggest that you always check with your vet, or Portugal’s Direção Geral de Alimentação e Veterinária, about the requirements and documents needed for the non-commercial transport of pets, for the specific date and destination of your flight2.
In addition, we would like to inform you that for flights departing from outside the EU and with transit or final destination in Portugal, it is mandatory to complete and submit an arrival notification form. The form must be submitted as early as possible and no later than 48 hours prior to the arrival. To get the form and the contact details to which you must send it, click here.
Here are some of the documents required for some of our most popular destinations:
Flights to the United Kingdom:
- Pets are not allowed. TAP is not authorized to transport pets to the United Kingdom – with the exception of assistance animals (SVAN – Service Animals) transported in the cabin.
Flights from the UK:
- Identification by microchip: The animal must have implanted a microchip that allows its identification.
- Valid rabies vaccination: Must be administered on a date equal to, or after the date of, implantation of the microchip, and with a minimum advance notice of 21 days of the trip's date. The vaccine is administered to animals after12 weeks old.
- European Union pet passport 3: Must be issued by a veterinarian authorized by the competent authority of the country of origin, and attest to the animal's identification and anti-rabies vaccination.
- Animal Health Certificate (AHC):4 This document must be issued by an official veterinary doctor recognized by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA), or by the Scottish or Welsh authorities. Please confirm with your veterinary doctor if they meet this requirement. The Animal Health Certificate is valid for ten days after the date of issue.
Flights to Brazil:
- Valid documentation required: The entry of pets into Brazil is only allowed with the presentation of the International Veterinary Certificate, therefore the European Pet Passport is not valid. With the exception of dogs and cats, all other animals entering the country as cargo via TAP Air Cargo must have an import permit issued by the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Supply.
- Carrying birds to Guarulhos: Birds should be transported to Guarulhos Airport (São Paulo) as cargo.
- See the links below for further information about carrying animals by air to Brazil:
- Connecting flights operated by GOL and Azul: Passengers who transport animals in the hold (Live Animal in Hold) or in the cabin (PETC) and who have connecting flights within Brazil, operated by GOL (G3) and Azul (AD), are not allowed. This rule applies to all flights operated by these companies.
Flights from Brazil to the EU:
- International Veterinary Certificates (IVC): As of November 1, 2022, all CVIs for EU countries, Norway and Switzerland must be issued electronically.5 Check all the information here.
- If you need to carry animals from Brazil to the European Union, please review this document (PDF, 31 KB, EN) for the requirements.
Flights to Ireland:
- Passengers coming from countries outside the European Union, who bring animals into the Dublin Airport by air must inform the Irish Veterinary Authorities at least 24 hours in advance of the animals' arrival. Boarding should only be carried out if the verification by the veterinary supervision is confirmed. Check the details by country in the Portal Pet Travel.
1Except Andorra, Switzerland, the Faeroe Islands, Gibraltar, Greenland, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino and the Vatican City State as they are members of the European Union Pet Passport.
2It is the passenger's responsibility to obtain information and have in their possession all the documents necessary for the transportation of the animal. Know the requirements and the sanitary documentation necessary for the entry into Portugal of animals from countries outside the European Union.
3Valid for flights from the UK to European Union countries, provided the passport was issued by December 31st, 2020. For more information, see the DGAV website.
4Valid for flights from the UK to countries outside the European Union, or for European Union countries, with pets that do not have a Pet Passport issued until December 31st, 2020. For more information, see the rules for the entry of animals into Portugal, coming from the UK.
5The e-IVCs for pets whose destination is Germany, Italy, Sweden or the Netherlands (or are in transit in these countries) must be certified. No certification is required for other EU countries, only the digital signature of the official Vigiagro/MAPA veterinary doctor.
Cabin or hold? See where your pet will travel
Carriage of pets on flights with a stopover
- Depending on the itinerary and the combined total weight (animal + transport bag), the animal may have to fly part of the route in the cabin and another part in the hold - this is the case for flights between the United States and Europe (for example, New York - Lisbon - Madrid).
- Whenever the conditions for the transportation of the animal are not the same for the whole route - that is, if part of the trip is in the cabin and another in the basement - the 3 hours required on the intermediate scale should be guaranteed, in order to ensure that every fundamental process and diligence are fulfilled.
- If the animal travels in the cabin and moves to the hold on the second route, you must provide the transport box for the animal at the point of origin.
1 - Flights departing or transferring in Dublin: it is not possible to transport your pet as checked baggage.
2 - Flights departing or transferring in London Gatwick: it is not possible to transport your pet as cabin or checked baggage.
To transport your pet, you can use the TAP Air Cargo service; to do so, please contact the cargo department in advance.
3 - Flights to the United Kingdom: it is not possible to transport your pet in the cabin or in the hold as baggage, be it on direct flights or in transfer.4 - Dog Import Permits to the US — Restrictions
Dogs from high-risk countries with dog import permits issued by the CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention), can only enter the US at one of these airports: Anchorage, Atlanta, Boston, Chicago (ORD), Dallas (DFW), Detroit, Honolulu (IAH), Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, New York (JFK), Newark, Philadelphia, San Francisco, San Juan, Seattle and Washington DC (Dulles).
These rules apply to countries classified by the CDC as high risk for canine rabies, including dogs that do not come from a high risk country but have been in one during the six months prior to the trip.
Dogs from high-risk countries with CDC import licenses must enter the US only through approved airports.
This suspension does not apply to dogs imported from countries with low or no canine rabies risk, or US citizens and returning legal residents with pets — provided they meet all the requirements.
Check all updates to the requirements for importing dogs into the US on this CDC website page.
Since September 1, 2023, dogs with their ears cropped or removed in their entirety without diagnosis, treatment of injuries, illnesses or infections are prohibited in Ireland.
To be able to transport the pet, it is necessary to have a certificate, issued by a local veterinarian, stating that the dog's ears were removed for a specific veterinary purpose. The license request must be made electronically at least 5 days before the trip.
The legal definition of a pet is any animal owned by a human being who cohabits with it for its company and entertainment and which is not covered by any legislation prohibiting its detention. Due to the scope of this concept, TAP reserves the right to refuse the transport of pets whenever it considers that the necessary conditions for their transport in the cabin or in the hold are not met.
This information only concerns the non-commercial movement of pets. If you need information regarding the import and export of animals, you should contact the respective embassies or consulates.
The information on this page applies to flights operated by TAP Air Portugal. If your flight has a connection with another airline, please contact us in order to verify the possibility of transporting your pet with that airline.