What you can take in the cabin
Maximum sizes and weights for hand baggage
Maximum weight of hand baggage in Economy and Executive classes to all destinations, except Venezuela and Brazil.
Maximum weight of hand baggage, in Economy Class, for the destinations: Venezuela and Brazil.
What is a personal item?
On TAP, apart from one piece of hand baggage, you can take a personal item of up to 2kg / 4.4lb into the cabin:
- Bags: Handbag, computer case or shoulder bag measuring no more than: 40x30x15cm / 16x12x5in.
- Duty Free Shop Bag: A bag with up to 2 bottles of alcoholic beverages, or other items (provided they do not exceed the maximum indicated weight).
- Walking aids: Mobility equipment such as wheelchairs, walking sticks, etc.
- Medical devices: upon prescription/prior approval.
Where to store hand baggage
Whenever possible, store your hand baggage under the seat in front of you.
If your hand baggage is too large or if you are seated in the emergency row or the first row in the cabin, hand baggage should be stored in the overhead lockers.
Precautions at Security Control
- Liquids: Put all liquids in individual containers of up to 100ml in a transparent bag of up to 1L.
- Electronic devices: Remove computers, cameras, tablets, cell phones and so on from your bags.
- Metal objects: Remove all metal items, such as earrings, pins, keys, watches, coins, etc., from your body and pockets.
- Clothes and footwear: Take off your jacket, belt and shoes to avoid having to go through the X-ray more than once.
Do you need to carry special baggage in the cabin?
Charges for excess hand baggage
If you exceed the number or weight of pieces of hand baggage, the following charges apply:
- 90 EUR – On domestic and European flights or flights to Morocco.
- 120 EUR / 145 USD / 190 CAD – On intercontinental flights.
Payment is made with credit card only at the boarding gate.
If you are traveling to Brazil and intend to take food and/or animal and vegetable products with you, read the Passenger Guide (PDF, 0.1, PT) to see the rules.
On flights from Berlin, and according to the rules imposed by airport security, passengers can only carry one item of hand baggage and must check in all the other bags. Before reaching security control, items in your pockets must be stored in your jacket or bag, larger electronic items (laptops, tablets and medical devices) as well as the bag containing any liquids must be removed from your hand baggage for checking.