Reserve a ticket for your pet
- to the space available on the aircraft.
- to the class you are flying in and the type of aircraft.
- to pets being allowed into the destination country.
- to the kind of animal and the total weight of the animal and the container.
- age of the animal — must be at least 12 weeks old (10 weeks for the Azores, Madeira and Spain).
For this reason, you must request this service when booking your trip or before your flight, preferably at least 48 hours before departure.
Please note that the information on this page applies to flights operated by TAP Air Portugal. If your flight has a connection with another airline, please contact us in order to check the possibility of transporting your pet with that company.
To find out if it is possible to book a ticket for your pet on your flight, where it will be carried and the price, you must provide the following information when requesting this service:
Each passenger can bring a carrier with one or more animals of the same species, always upon availability.
Tell us the kind of container your pet will be in and its length, width, and height.
Only malleable containers are accepted in the cabin. If you have a rigid container, the animal has to travel in the hold.
If the total weight is no more than 8kg, it can be carried in the cabin. Animals + containers over that weight are carried in the hold.
You must comply with all health requirements and submit all mandatory documentation, which may vary depending on the flight's origin and destination, in addition to ensuring all mandatory travel conditions, which depend on where the pet is traveling. To avoid last-minute surprises, check the documentation and conditions applying to your pet and type of flight:
- Mandatory requirements and documents for flights between EU member states.
- Mandatory requirements and documents for flights outside EU member states.
- Mandatory requirements for carrying animals in the cabin.
- Mandatory requirements for carrying animals up to 45 kg in the hold.
- Mandatory requirements for carrying animals of potentially dangerous breeds in the hold.
The following health requirements and documents are mandatory for all non-commercial movements of pets on flights between EU member states,1 or those non-EU European countries,2 which are members of the European Union’s Pet Passport.
- Microchip ID: The animal must have a microchip to identify it. Animals identified by tattoo are only allowed if the tattoo was applied before July 3, 2011, and upon presentation of written proof.
- EU pet passport: This has to be issued by a vet who is authorized by the competent authority of the country of origin and attests to the animal's identification and anti-rabies vaccination.
- Valid anti-rabies vaccination: This must be given on or after the date the microchip was implanted.
2Andorra, Switzerland, Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, Greenland, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, and the Vatican City State.
Before flying outside EU1 member states with your pet, we suggest that you always check with your vet, or Portugal’s Direção Geral de Alimentação e Veterinária, about the requirements and documents needed for the non-commercial transport of pets, for the specific date and destination of your flight2.
In addition, we would like to inform you that for flights departing from outside the EU and with transit or final destination in Portugal, it is mandatory to complete and submit an arrival notification form. The form must be submitted as early as possible and no later than 48 hours prior to the arrival. To get the form and the contact details to which you must send it, click here.
Here are some of the documents required for some of our most popular destinations:
Flights to the United Kingdom:
- Pets are not allowed. TAP is not authorized to transport pets to the United Kingdom – with the exception of assistance animals (SVAN – Service Animals) transported in the cabin.
Flights from the UK:
- Identification by microchip: The animal must have implanted a microchip that allows its identification.
- Valid rabies vaccination: Must be administered on a date equal to, or after the date of, implantation of the microchip, and with a minimum advance notice of 21 days of the trip's date. The vaccine is administered to animals after12 weeks old.
- European Union pet passport 3: Must be issued by a veterinarian authorized by the competent authority of the country of origin, and attest to the animal's identification and anti-rabies vaccination.
- Animal Health Certificate (AHC):4 This document must be issued by an official veterinary doctor recognized by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA), or by the Scottish or Welsh authorities. Please confirm with your veterinary doctor if they meet this requirement. The Animal Health Certificate is valid for ten days after the date of issue.
Flights to Brazil:
- Valid documentation required: The entry of pets into Brazil is only allowed with the presentation of the International Veterinary Certificate, therefore the European Pet Passport is not valid. With the exception of dogs and cats, all other animals entering the country as cargo via TAP Air Cargo must have an import permit issued by the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Supply.
- Carrying birds to Guarulhos: Birds should be transported to Guarulhos Airport (São Paulo) as cargo.
- See the links below for further information about carrying animals by air to Brazil:
Flights from Brazil to the EU:
- International Veterinary Certificates (IVC): As of November 1, 2022, all CVIs for EU countries, Norway and Switzerland must be issued electronically.5 Check all the information here.
- If you need to carry animals from Brazil to the European Union, please review this document (PDF, 31 KB, EN) for the requirements.
Flights to Ireland:
- Passengers coming from countries outside the European Union, who bring animals into the Dublin Airport by air must inform the Irish Veterinary Authorities at least 24 hours in advance of the animals' arrival. Boarding should only be carried out if the verification by the veterinary supervision is confirmed. Check the details by country in the Portal Pet Travel.
1Except Andorra, Switzerland, the Faeroe Islands, Gibraltar, Greenland, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino and the Vatican City State as they are members of the European Union Pet Passport.
2It is the passenger's responsibility to obtain information and have in their possession all the documents necessary for the transportation of the animal. Know the requirements and the sanitary documentation necessary for the entry into Portugal of animals from countries outside the European Union.
3Valid for flights from the UK to European Union countries, provided the passport was issued by December 31st, 2020. For more information, see the DGAV website.
4Valid for flights from the UK to countries outside the European Union, or for European Union countries, with pets that do not have a Pet Passport issued until December 31st, 2020. For more information, see the rules for the entry of animals into Portugal, coming from the UK.
5The e-IVCs for pets whose destination is Germany, Italy, Sweden or the Netherlands (or are in transit in these countries) must be certified. No certification is required for other EU countries, only the digital signature of the official Vigiagro/MAPA veterinary doctor.
Cabin or hold? See where your pet will travel
Transportation of pets in the cabin
Carrying pets in the cabin is subject to the species, size, and weight of the animal to be carried, as well as the availability of space on the aircraft and the acceptance of entry into the country of destination. If the journey involves more than one airline, confirmation of transport from all the companies involved is required.Maximum weight total (animal + container): 8kg / 17lb
Size of the space for the container: 40x33x17cm
Cost of transporting animals in the cabin
|Type of route||Booking channel1||Price|
|Domestic Flights (Portugal)
40 EUR / 48 USD / 61 CAD
|Other||45 EUR / 58 USD / 72 CAD|
|Europe, Morocco, Tunisia and flights between Accra and São Tomé
70 EUR / 88 USD / 111 CAD
|Other||75 EUR / 95 USD / 114 CAD|
150 EUR / 185 USD / 235 CAD
|Other||160 EUR / 199 USD / 239 CAD|
1Online: Through FlytTAP and trips agencies (online or desk).
Other: You can book this service at a local counter (city or airport) or via our Contact Center, for instance.
The prices shown above are per flight and are charged in the local currency according to the exchange rate in force.
These services are non-refundable.
- Only dogs and cats can be transported in the cabin.
- Each passenger may carry one flexible animal transport bag/carry case which may contain more than one animal of the same species.
- Dogs and cats cannot be carried in Executive class on long haul flights (except assistance dogs on some of these flights).
- The cabin container has to:
- Be malleable.
- Have enough space for the animal(s) to move.
- Be waterproof (to retain the animal's fluids).
- Be stored under the seat in front of you so as not to obstruct the passage in the cabin.
- The animal:
- Must be at least 10 weeks old.
- Must be fully inside the carrier throughout the flight (includes head and tail).
- Must be clean, healthy and not smell.
- May not occupy a seat or move in the cabin.
- May not threaten or disturb passengers.
- If female, may not be pregnant.
Examples of soft carriers allowed in the cabin
Transportation of pets in the hold
- up to 32kg / 70lb on flights to, from or via the USA, Hungary, France and the Netherlands.
- up to 45kg / 99lb to other destinations.
The transport of dogs and cats of superior weight is already considered cargo transport and will have to be done through TAP Air Cargo. The carriage of pets in the hold depends on the breed and the animal’s weight as well as the available space and acceptance into the destination country.
Total maximum weight (animal + container): 32kg / 70lb or 45kg / 99lb (depending on destination).
Costs of hold transportation
|Type of route||Price up to 32kg / 70lb||Price from 32kg (70lb) to 45kg (99lb)
|Domestic Flights (Portugal)||80 EUR / 101 USD / 121 CAD||130 EUR / 162 USD / 195 CAD|
|16.000 miles||26.000 miles|
|Europe, Morocco, Tunisia, Israel and flights between Accra and São Tomé||120 EUR / 149 USD / 188 CAD||230 EUR / 282 USD / 358 CAD|
|20.000 miles||40.000 miles|
|Intercontinental Flights||230 EUR / 282 USD / 358 CAD||300 EUR / 367 USD / 466 CAD|
|40.000 miles||60.000 miles|
These services are non-refundable.
- The hold box must:
- Be hard and suitable for transporting animals.
- Be made of a sturdy material, with latches and pins on the door and screws and nuts on the sides joining the top and bottom sections of the box.
- Be well ventilated (on at least 3 sides).
- Have the floor lined with absorbent material, such as sanitary mats, blankets or pillows that retain the animal's fluids (straw and newspaper are not allowed).
- Be delivered at the check-in or drop-off desks for passenger acceptance, and later placed in the ventilated area of the hold.
- The passenger in charge of the animal must follow the instructions below:
- Contact the company and wait for confirmation of availability to carry the animal in the hold.
- Provide enough food and water for the entire trip, as it is not possible to feed the animals during transit stops.
- The animal:
- Must be at least 12 weeks old (10 weeks for the Azores, Madeira and Spain).
- Must be able to stand up inside the box, with its head fully raised, without touching the top of the box.
- Must be able to turn around inside the box and lie down comfortably.
- Must not be carrying a muzzle or a leash, nor may these items be left in the box.
- Must not be brachycephalic (dogs or cats that due to their short flat snouts, have specific respiratory limitations, so their lives would be at risk due to the average temperatures in the hold – ranging from 10ºC to 19ºC).
- May not exceed, together with the box, 32 kg/70 lbs on flights from, to or with a stopover in the following countries: USA, Hungary, France, and the Netherlands.
- May not exceed, together with the box, 45 kg/99 lbs on flights from, to or with a stopover in all other countries.
On flights from Lisbon to Luanda, all animals must be carried in the hold.
Examples of hard boxes allowed in the hold
Examples of hard boxes not allowed in the hold
- The animal must be at least 12 weeks old (10 weeks for the Azores, Madeira and Spain).
- Transportation must be provided on the route described in the passenger's ticket.
- The animal must be delivered for transport 4 hours before departure. Conditions/hours regarding the acceptance of the animal may differ according to the place of departure.
- The passenger provides all necessary documents and is responsible for any additional fees charged at origin and destination.
- TAP reserves the right to decide on which flight the animal is carried.
- The carriage of brachycephalous animals is not allowed.
|American Staffordshire Terrier / ”Amstaff”||Himalayan|
|Bulldog (all types)
|Cavalier King Charles
|English Toy Spaniel / Prince Charles Spaniel
|Japanese Chin / Japanese Spaniel
|Mastiff (all types)
|Pug (all types)
|Shar-Pei / Chinese Shar-Pei
|Staffordshire Bull Terrier / ”Staffies”
The above mentioned animals or crossbreeds of animals are accepted if:
- A veterinary declaration shall be provided specifying that the animal has undergone surgical intervention to improve its condition and/or does not exhibit the characteristics of the breed.
- In a crossbreed, a veterinary declaration shall be provided stating that the animal does not have the characteristics of the original breeds.
Dogs of some breeds may be considered "potentially dangerous", and their transport is subject to special conditions. In order to transport a dog of one of these breeds (aged 6 months or older) on a TAP flight, it is mandatory to use a specific wooden or metal crate – a CR82 container. Service Animals (SVAN) are not subject to compliance with this rule. See below which dog breeds are considered "potentially dangerous".
- American Staffordshire Terrier;
- Brazilian Mastiff;
- Argentine Dogo;
- American Pit Bull Terrier;
- Staffordshire Bull Terrier;
- Tosa Inu.
Examples of hard boxes allowed in the hold for animals of potentially dangerous breeds
TAP Air Portugal do not defend the use tranquilizers or sedatives, because they lower bood pressure, especially at hight altitude, which can be fatal for animals when traveling in an aircraft cargo hold.
The costs associated with the transportation of animals as cargo are only valid for departures from Portugal. Other fees may apply for transport to other countries. Contact TAP Air Cargo for further details.
Carriage of pets on flights with a stopover
- Depending on the itinerary and the combined total weight (animal + transport bag), the animal may have to fly part of the route in the cabin and another part in the hold - this is the case for flights between the United States and Europe (for example, New York - Lisbon - Madrid).
- Whenever the conditions for the transportation of the animal are not the same for the whole route - that is, if part of the trip is in the cabin and another in the basement - the 3 hours required on the intermediate scale should be guaranteed, in order to ensure that every fundamental process and diligence are fulfilled.
- If the animal travels in the cabin and moves to the hold on the second route, you must provide the transport box for the animal at the point of origin.
1 - Flights departing or transferring in Dublin: it is not possible to transport your pet as checked baggage.
2 - Flights departing or transferring in London Gatwick: it is not possible to transport your pet as cabin or checked baggage.
To transport your pet, you can use the TAP Air Cargo service; to do so, please contact the cargo department in advance.
3 - Flights to the United Kingdom: it is not possible to transport your pet in the cabin or in the hold as baggage, be it on direct flights or in transfer.4 - Dog Import Permits to the US — Restrictions
Dogs from high-risk countries with dog import permits issued by the CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention), can only enter the US at one of these airports: Anchorage, Atlanta, Boston, Chicago (ORD), Dallas (DFW), Detroit, Honolulu (IAH), Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, New York (JFK), Newark, Philadelphia, San Francisco, San Juan, Seattle and Washington DC (Dulles).
These rules apply to countries classified by the CDC as high risk for canine rabies, including dogs that do not come from a high risk country but have been in one during the six months prior to the trip.
Dogs from high-risk countries with CDC import licenses must enter the US only through approved airports.
This suspension does not apply to dogs imported from countries with low or no canine rabies risk, or US citizens and returning legal residents with pets — provided they meet all the requirements.
Check all updates to the requirements for importing dogs into the US on this CDC website page.
According to the law, a pet is any animal owned by a human being who cohabits with it for its company and entertainment, and which is not covered by any legislation prohibiting its detention. Due to the scope of this concept, TAP reserves the right to refuse the transport of pets whenever it considers that the necessary conditions for their transport in the cabin or in the hold are not met.
This information only concerns the non-commercial movements of pets. If you need information regarding the import and export of animals, you should contact the respective embassies or consulates.
The information on this page applies to flights operated by TAP Air Portugal. If your flight has a connection with another airline, please contact us in order to verify the possibility of transporting your pet with that airline.