As per the directive of the Portuguese Government (Decree Law no. 7595-A / 2020, of July 31), entry into Portuguese territory is only authorized for:
- Passengers on flights from countries belonging to the European Union, countries associated with the Schengen Area (Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland and Switzerland) and the United Kingdom under the terms of the Departure Agreement between the European Union and the United Kingdom (regardless of nationality of the passenger);
- Passengers on flights from countries whose epidemiological situation is in accordance with Council Recommendation (EU) 2020/912, of 30 June 2020, namely Canada and Morocco;
- Passengers on flights from countries that are not members of the European Union or that are not countries associated with the Schengen Area, exclusively for essential travel, thus:
- Citizens of the European Union, nationals of States associated with the Schengen Area and members of their families, in accordance to the Directive 2004/38 / EC, of the Parliament and of the Council, and third-country nationals legally resident in a Member State of the European Union;
- Third-country nationals traveling for professional, study, family reunion, health or humanitarian reasons.
- Passengers on repatriation or humanitarian flights organized in accordance with the law.
Passengers on flights described in sub paragraphs a) and b) are not required to submit a negative RT-PCR molecular test for COVID-19, performed within 72 hours prior to the flight.
All passengers (including Portuguese citizens, residing in Portugal and their families) on the flights described in paragraphs c) and d) must present proof of laboratory testing (RT-PCR) for the screening of SARS-CoV-2, with a negative result, performed within 72 hours prior to the time of departure, or they will be denied boarding.
Exceptions to the rule of mandatory presentation of negative test results before boarding:
- Passengers transferring in Portugal with a connecting flight outside of national territory -> are exempt from presenting the test as long as the connecting flight takes place on the same calendar day and they do not leave the boarding area within the airport;
- Passengers of Portuguese nationality and passengers with legal residence in Portugal, on flights originating in African Portuguese speaking countries or any origin in a third country on repatriation or humanitarian flights:
- Can board without proof of testing;
- hey will be tested upon arrival to the Portuguese airport, at their own expense, and must await the results at their residence (for reference, the test costs 100 €).
Portuguese national / resident in Portugal traveling from New York to Lisbon: Must present test to board
Foreign national traveling from Rio de Janeiro to Lisbon: Must present test to board
Foreign national traveling Sao Paulo – Lisbon – Madrid: No test required
Portuguese national / resident in Portugal traveling from Praia to Lisbon: Can take the test upon arrival
Portuguese passenger / resident in Portugal on a repatriation flight from Dakar to Lisbon: Can take the test upon arrival
Foreign national traveling from Luanda to Lisbon: Must present test to board
Foreign national on repatriation flight from Dakar to Lisbon: Must present test to board