- ESAN: Emotional support animals (dogs);
- SVAN: Service animals (guide dogs for the blind, hearing dogs for the deaf, assistance dogs for people with reduced mobility and search and rescue dogs).
Only dogs registered as service animals (SVAN) can be transported to the UK, and only in the cabin. Animals that are not service animals can only be transported out of the UK.
If you need information on importing and exporting animals, you should contact the embassy or consulate of the country in question.
How to book?
Travel with an emotional assistance dog will be authorised once the TAP doctor has approved it.
Transporting assistance dogs must meet the following requirements:
Guide dogs, hearing dogs and service dogs:
- They have to be properly identified as assistance animals with documentation proving they have been officially trained and certified;
- They can travel at the owner’s feet, without a transport box;
- They cannot occupy a seat;
- They must be on a lead;
- They cannot move around the cabin.
Emotional support dogs:
- May travel in the cabin inside a soft animal carry case weighing no more than 8kg/17lb (with the animal inside) and which is no larger than 40 x 33 x 17cm/15 x 12 x 6in;
- If the permitted size and / or weight is exceeded, the dog has to travel in the hold, also for free;
- Only one animal carry case is permitted per passenger;
On flights to and from the USA (only) emotional support dogs that weigh more than 8kg are allowed on board;
The maximum recommended weight and size is 40kg and 62cm high (from floor to withers);
Any weight or size over and above will need to be analysed and duly authorised to ensure the flight can go ahead in safety and comfort;
These dogs may travel in the cabin without a pet carrier cage or bag, though use of a lead is recommended;
Emotional assistance animals (ESAN) are not permitted in the executive class cabin of long-haul flights (except on flights to and from the USA);
- It is important the health requirements of the destination country are complied with;
- Authorisation for travel with an emotional support dog will depend on the TAP doctor’s professional approval;
The carriage of short-nosed dogs and cats or cross-breeds of short-nosed dogs and cats is not allowed in the hold because of the climatic conditions they may be exposed to:
- American Bully
- American Pit Bull Terrier / Pit Bull
- American Staffordshire Terrier / “Amstaff”
- Boston Terrier
- Brussels Griffon
- Bulldog (all types)
- Cavalier King Charles
- Chow Chow
- English Toy Spaniel / Prince Charles Spaniel
- Japanese Chin / Japanese Spaniel
- Lhasa Apso
- Mastiff (all types)
- Shar Pei / Chinese Shar Pei
- Pug (all types)
- Staffordshire Bull Terrier / ”Staffies”
- Tibetan Spaniel
This document must be sent to TAP Portugal’s medical team for review and approved, by:
Fax No. (+351) 218 416 540
Note: For passengers in transit/travelling to the United Kingdom, TAP is only permitted to transport in the cabin dogs recognised as guide dogs. The transport of animals in the hold is not permitted on this route.
TAP complies with the rules in force, namely:
EU Regulation No. 1107/2006 of 5 July 2006 on the rights of passengers with reduced mobility;
Passengers travelling to/from the USA are carried according to the Code of Federal Regulations, Part 382, of the US Department of Transportation, in force since 13 May 2009.