Flight delays and cancellations
Was your flight delayed, canceled or rescheduled? Check your options and rights here.
How we can help
Unexpected expenses and refunds
What to expect when your flight is canceled or changed?
- We will notify you about the flight delay or cancellation via email and/or text message;
- In the event of a flight cancellation, we will automatically book the next flight with seats available;
- If you do not like the new flight and your booking is eligible, we will send you a link to your email so that you can change your flight.
- We will do our best to book the same seats you selected previously;
- In case of an overnight stay, we will provide free hotel accommodation until an alternative flight is available;
- Depending on the waiting time until an alternative flight is available, we will offer you meals and beverages;
- For cancellations and delays longer than 3 hours, we will pay the compensation set out in regulation 261/2004, if the disruption is not caused by extraordinary circumstances:
- cancellations/delays of 2 hours or more - on flights up to 1,500 km;
- cancellations/delays of 3 hours or more - on flights ranging from 1,500 to 3,500 km;
- cancellations/delays of 4 hours or more - on all flights over 3,500 km.
What do you need to do?
- Check your flight status on our website: flytap.com – "Flight information"
- See if you have received the notifications we have sent via email or text message, which should include a link to an online platform where you will be able to manage your trip and choose an alternative flight.
- You will be able to find alternatives for your trip and inform us of your decision through these online platforms;
- If the email we have sent you does not include a link, please get in touch with our Contact Center;
- Avoid queues and crowds: opt for the mobile check-in option instead of doing your check-in at the airport;
- Make sure you go through airport security at least 45 minutes before your flight's scheduled departure time.
- If your flight is an international flight, make sure you go through passport control at least 60 minutes before your flight's scheduled departure time.
In the event of a cancellation or delay longer than 3 hours that has not been caused by extraordinary circumstances, please submit your claim via Talk to Us to obtain your compensation:
- In cash - The sum set out in regulation 261/2004, according to the number of kilometers and delay time, or according to the waiting time until a new proposed alternative flight:
- €125 to €250 on all flights up to 1,500 kilometers;
- €200 to €400 on all flights over 1,500 kilometers within the EU, and on all other flights ranging from 1,500 to 3,500 kilometers;
- €300 to €600 on all flights not included in a) or b)
- As a voucher.
For more information about passenger rights and regulation 261/2004, please check the General Transportation Conditions.
If you have not been offered hotel accommodation and you are not at your departure point while waiting for an alternative flight, we will refund the following expenses:
- Hotel accommodation
- Meals and beverages, if you have not been offered vouchers for this purpose;
- Transportation between the airport and the hotel/private residence (if necessary);
- Two phone calls or Internet-related charges to contact people outside the airport;
How do I claim a refund for unexpected expenses?
Please go here and provide the following information:
- Passenger name – Specify which passengers the refund claim pertains to;
- Flight information - Provide the number, date, origin and destination of the first flight on which the disruption (delay/cancellation) occurred.
- Ticket number – Provide the ticket number of all passengers the refund claim pertains to;
- Attach invoices for your expenses (eg.: hotel, transportation, meals, phone and Internet costs);
- For payment processing purposes, please attach a bank statement with your account details and name.
If you decide not to make your trip, you can request a refund for the routes that have not been taken:
- In the event of a flight cancellation;
- In the event of a delay longer than 5 hours.
How to claim a refund for your ticket?
Use the Request refund link.
Types of refund for canceled flights and delays longer than 5 hours:
- Refund to the original payment method, corresponding to 100% of the amount paid for the ticket;
- Refund as a voucher, with a 10% bonus on the amount paid for the ticket.
- If you decide to travel from a departure or destination point other than the one on your original booking, we will not cover any travel expenses between those locations, nor any car rental expenses, parking expenses, etc.;
- Expenses upon arrival at the destination (eg.: hotel accommodation, transportation, etc.);
- Hotel accommodation expenses, if the flight cancellation occurred at the trip's starting point;
- We will not refund any expenses deemed unreasonable.
- You can check the voucher's expiry date in the 'Valid until' field;
- The voucher can be used to pay for trips and/or TAP services;
- The voucher can be used for online purchases at flytap.com;
- Passengers can use up to three vouchers per online purchase;
- If there is any outstanding amount to be paid, passengers can only use up to two vouchers; the remaining amount will be paid via credit card or any other method which is available when paying for the online purchase;
- If you want to use more than three vouchers on the same online purchase, or if the total amount of three vouchers is not enough to pay for the entire purchase, please contact our Contact Center;
- Passengers do not need to spend the voucher amount on a single purchase, as it will be deducted until the total amount has been used;
- The voucher may be used in various transactions. If the cost of the new ticket or service is lower than the voucher amount, the remaining balance will remain available to pay for other trips and/or TAP services;
- The voucher can be used to pay for a new ticket or service on behalf of someone other than the voucher holder;
- Voucher credits may not be sold.