Transporting firearms and ammunition
If you are traveling with firearms and ammunition see the transport and security conditions you must comply with.
- No firearms or ammunition are allowed in the cabin.
- Firearms must be unloaded, dismantled and properly packed and be presented at the check-in counter.
- Make sure you have the correct documentation for the weapon, including the registration and your permit to use and carry firearms.
- Weapons and ammunition containing explosive projectiles cannot travel as checked baggage.
- The transport of amounts of ammunition in excess of 5 kg/11 lbs. per passenger is prohibited.
- Only small caliber ammunition that does not contain explosive projectiles is allowed.
- Ammunition must be securely packed in a container with a sufficiently strong outer covering made of wood, metal or fiber, protected against potential shocks and unable to move about inside the container.
Specific conditions of transport
• For gun permit and legal verification, the passenger must contact PSP (police force), in the inspection area, located in the arrival zone.
• Contact – Airport 218 413 700, extension 21492
• For gun permit and legal verification, the passenger must contact PSP (police force), in the inspection area, located on the 3rd floor of the departure zone (next to the X-ray area entry)
• Available 24h/7 and Contact – Airport 229 432 400, extension 43228/29
Remaining national airports
• Contact PSP (police force) of the airport.
- The transport of firearms from/to the United Kingdom is allowed, with restrictions, but only on presentation of the license to carry a firearm.
- You must carry a special permit/license issued by the local police authority (in the UK).
- Firearms are transported with the passenger as personal baggage, subject to check-in.
- All handguns (pistols/revolvers) are restricted under United Kingdom legislation and cannot be carried aboard TAP aircraft.
For official travel involving national security forces, special regulations apply. In such cases, it is necessary to contact TAP via telephone.
Checking in and transport fees
Passengers traveling with firearms and ammunition on the plane must check in 2 hours before the usual time.
A fixed fee of € 50 / 65 USD / 80 CAD is charged for transporting this equipment for each leg of the trip.
Round-trip flight: Lisbon - Stockholm - € 50 / 65 USD / 80 CAD and Stockholm - Lisbon - € 50 / 65 USD / 80 CAD.
Flight with stopovers: Frankfurt - Lisbon - New York - € 50 / 65 USD / 80 CAD or New York - Lisbon - Frankfurt - € 50 / 65 USD / 80 CAD.
This charge is applicable to both baggage calculation methods: Weight Concept* and Items Concept**.
* Used when the baggage allowance is determined by the total amount of weight the passenger transports.
** Number of pieces of baggage a passenger carries. This concept applies throughout the TAP network.