Take music with you
Check the conditions for transporting musical instruments in the cabin and in the cargo hold according to their size.
Arrive at your destination and add a soundtrack to your adventure.
In the cabin
To travel with a musical instrument at your side in the aircraft cabin, you should book an extra seat that will accommodate the instrument.
The maximum weight allowed for transporting an instrument in the cabin is 75 kg/165 lbs.
To book the transportation of musical instruments in the cabin, you must contact our Contact Center at least 72 hours before your flight to ensure the proper packaging of your musical instrument.
In certain situations, if the musical instrument is large, you may need to book more than one extra seat. For safety reasons, the airline will decide what is required.
See more information about booking an extra seat.
In the hold
You can also transport your musical instrument in the hold.
See our recommendations:
- The passenger must properly pack the musical instrument for the trip.
- When transporting it as checked baggage, it must be packed in a rigid container specifically designed for shipping this type of baggage.
- Musical instruments can be included in the free baggage allowance if they fall within the allowed weight and size limits.
- The packed instrument must not weigh more than 45 kg/99 lbs.
- If the flight destination is the USA, Hungary, France, United Kingdom or the Netherlands, or if the trip involves a stopover one of the these countries, the weight limit is 32 kg/70 lbs.
- The maximum dimensions are 190 cm x 75 cm x 65 cm (75 in x 30 in x 26 in).
- If your musical instrument exceeds these dimensions and/or weight, it must be transported as cargo.
You can do this at a TAP counter, through your travel agent, or by calling the Contact Center.
This service charge applies only to flights operated by TAP. On code-share* flights not operated by TAP, the policies of the airline operating the flight apply.
|Weight||Up to 23 kg / 50 lbs||23 kg / 50 lbs to 32 kg / 70 lbs||32 kg / 70 lbs to 45 kg / 99 lbs|
|Domestic flights||50 EUR / 65 USD / 80 CAD||100 EUR / 130 USD / 160 CAD||200 EUR / 240 USD / 310 CAD|
|10.000 miles||20.000 miles||40.000 miles|
|Flights to Europe and Morocco||60 EUR / 75 USD / 95 CAD||110 EUR / 140 USD / 175 CAD||200 EUR / 240 USD / 310 CAD|
|12.000 miles||22.000 miles||40.000 miles|
|Intercontinental Flights||150 EUR / 185 USD / 235 CAD||200 EUR / 240 USD / 310 CAD||300 EUR / 355 USD / 465 CAD|
|30.000 miles||40.000 miles||60.000 miles|