Traveling with children

Children traveling alone

Learn how minors can travel alone on board TAP. Find out about the conditions and see what is the most appropriate solution for you.

Unaccompanied Minors

The conditions for approval vary depending on the child's age.
  • TAP does not allow unaccompanied minors under the age of 5.
  • Minors who are under 2 years of age must always travel accompanied by an adult. Their adult companion must be at least 18 years old and be able to take care of the minor child throughout the trip, including check-in and border and customs formalities. I
  • Minors between 2 and 4 years (inclusive) may be accompanied by another passenger aged between 12 and 15 years since the procedures of "unaccompanied minor" to be applied to both.
  • A passenger 16 years of age or older can accompany a child between 5 and 11 years of age, provided that he/she is declared the companion for the entire trip, including the minor’s acceptance, check-in and getting though airport formalities;
  • Passengers from  5 to 11 years of age  who traveling alone are always considered to be Unaccompanied Minors;
  • When they are between 12 and 17 years of age  (inclusive) they may in special cases be registered as Unaccompanied Minors at the request of their parents or legal guardians;
  • It is also considered an unaccompanied minor child who travels in a different cabin class where travels the adult;
  • Wait list reservations are not accepted;
  • When an Unaccompanied Minor reservation is made and confirmed, TAP must be informed of the name and contact information (phone number and address) of the people who will be taking the child to the airport and picking him or her up on arrival.
  • The "Unaccompanied Minors" (UMNR) service is not available when there is a night stop on the flights connecting the child's itinerary.

Reservations and fares

When an Unaccompanied Minor reservation is made and confirmed, TAP must be informed of the name and contact information (phone number and address) of the people who will be taking the child to the airport and picking him or her up on arrival.

After requested and confirmed the reservation of the unaccompanied minor, it is mandatory to inform the TAP on the name and their contact details (phone and address) of the people who are going to take and get to the airport.

Reservations are not accepted on the waiting list

To book the ticket for an unaccompanied minor, will be added to the following rates:
  Direct flight With connecting flight  
Domestic flights 65 EUR / 77 USD / 92 CAD  65 EUR / 77 USD / 92 CAD  
Europe, Morocco, Tunisia and flights between Accra and São Tomé 90 EUR / 112 USD / 142 CAD  100 EUR / 124 USD / 157 CAD
Intercontinental flights 130 EUR / 165 USD / 195 CAD 150 EUR / 185 USD / 235 CAD


The fees apply as follows:

  • Children between 5 and 11 years old travelling alone;
  • For Unaccompanied Minor;
  • For one way*;
  • The young people between 12 and 17 years, if parents/guardians so wish are considered unaccompanied minors.

* one-way Flight ticket or just back.

Legislation on minors

The entry and exit of minors in the Portugal must obey Portuguese rules and laws.

Foreign minors born in Portugal

These minors have the same residency status as that granted to either of their parents.

In order to apply for a residence permit, either parent must submit the application within six months following registration of the child’s birth.

Minors entering Portugal

Foreigners under 18 years of age must present a written travel authorization in order to enter Portugal. 
Foreign unaccompanied minors may only be allowed to enter the country if they present this document, duly validated, or if a legal representative is waiting for them in Portugal.

Minors leaving Portugal

Minors leaving Portugal not accompanied by a parent or legal guardian must present a legally certified authorization from their parents or legal guardians when they go through border control. 

Minors with Brazilian nationality

See the document of the National Council of Justice or the respective website, to find out everything you need for your underage son traveling in Brazil or abroad.

Authorization of minor:

  • Required for Brazilian minors with dual nationality residing outside Brazil;
  • It must be certified at a Brazilian Consulate. Certification of the signatures by a notary public or lawyer of the country of residence will not be accepted;
  • The same applies to minors with dual nationality traveling from Brazil to other countries, i.e. they must also present an authorization certified by a Brazilian Consulate according to the same rules.

Minors with Italian nationality

Children under the age of 14 and traveling with Italian passports cannot travel to or from Italy unaccompanied.

If accompanied by someone other than their parents or legal guardian, they must have their own passport and a properly completed “Dichiarazione di Accompagno” (PDF, IT, 0.4MB) form. This document must be signed in the presence of a police officer by both parents (or guardian).

This document is available at any local police station (Questura), but it is not available at the airport police station. If you reside in another country, you must obtain this form from the Italian embassy or consulate.

Minors with Spanish nationality

From September 1, 2019 new conditions for trips for unaccompanied minors enter into force.

Unaccompanied minors wishing to travel outside Spanish territory, in addition to having to present their DNI and Passport (the latter for trips outside the Schengen area), must be accompanied by the duly completed Travel Authorization for Unaccompanied Minors, signed by both parents (or legal guardian). This authorization must be recognized in the following facilities: National Police, Guardia Civil, Autonomous Communities Police, Notaries and Alcaldías.

For more information, visit the Ministerio del Interior page here.